Today, my favorite local urban farm store Biofuel Oasis is having their 10th anniversary celebration. We bought our chickens when they were two days old there and we buy all of our chicken feed there–50lb. bags of organic layer pellets! Also, they’re hosting one of my workshops in January: Stovetop Brewing!
Tomorrow, I’ll be at Shapeshifters Cinema at the Temescal Art Center in Oakland with my Hoppy Holidays Oakland Steam Beer.
More details about both below…
Celebrate our TENTH Anniversary with Us!
Saturday, December 7th, noon – 5pm
BioFuel Oasis, Biodiesel Station & Urban Farm Store
1441 Ashby Ave., Berkeley
To celebrate ten years in business, BioFuel Oasis is throwing a party and you’re invited! Starting in a little warehouse in West Berkeley, this women and worker-owned cooperative has brought biodiesel and urban farming to a prime location on the corner of Ashby Ave. and Sacramento St. We’ve grown to have over 3500 biodiesel customers, supply over 2500 chickens with their feed, and have taught over 2000 people about beekeeping, chickens, and more in our urban farm classes.
To say thank you to our loyal customers, and to help celebrate the holidays in a sustainable way, BioFuel Oasis has a number of special offers and contests for our anniversary:
- Biodiesel will be 10 cents off/gallon all day (7am-midnight)
- 10% off on everything inside our store: organic chicken feed, urban farming books, beekeeping supplies, fermentation supplies (crocks, kefir, kombucha starters, cheese kits), and MORE!
- Discount on the extended hours card till December, 31st, 2013. (the Freedom Fueling Card will be $10 instead of $35)
- Oldest customer contest: lowest customer number from our original 4th Street station, still running on biodiesel, gets free 10 gallons.
- BioFuel Oasis Trivia Quiz: Take our trivia quiz about the history of the BioFuel Oasis from noon – 5pm. Winner gets a $25 Gift Certificate.
Additional Anniversary Celebration Fun!
- Come at 2pm for a toast of Jennifer’s homemade mead and kombucha.
- Yummy local homemade food. Bring your own to contribute to the potluck if you want.
- Sample our Local Honey and Chocolate Mushrooms And buy some as gifts.
- The Next TEN Years… Draw or write about what your vision for us will be for the next ten years.
Oakland Steam Beer Reappears at Shapeshifters Cinema
Tomorrow I’ll have my Oakland Steam Beer at Shapeshifters Cinema. I’ve been brewing beer and bringing a new one to each show to give audience members a taste while they’re enjoying the performances. This new beer is something I’ve shared before, but this time it’s made with my own home-roasted sticky, sweet crystal malt and it’s extra hoppy and bright. I’m calling it “Making Spirits Bright (and Hoppy) Holiday Steam Beer”. Come by for the show and get a taste!
Shapeshifters Cinema presents Alex Mackenzie…
Reception at 7:30pm, Show at 8:00pm
Temescal Art Center
511 48th Street @ Telegraph Ave in Oakland, CA
In Related News…
Shapeshifters Cinema stimulates the senses (Community Voices)
Every second Sunday near the Temescal Art Center, you will see anywhere from fifteen to fifty people file into a dark room with hushed tones, curious glances, and knowing smiles. While you wait for your pupils to dilate, you can sip on a delicious beverage, often donated by Linden Street Brewery or home-brewed by Gilbert Guerrero himself. (The last one, I heard, was a blackberry wheat with hops and berries from his own garden. I was partial to his jalapeno saison myself.) Then the lights go dim, a projector reel whirrs, and you’re ready to explore a unique installation of “Expanded Cinema,” a term that encompasses a wide range of exploratory practices that transgress the boundaries separating media.